Hormone Replacement for Women
- Posted on: Apr 15 2019
After women go through menopause, their bodies no longer see the need to produce estrogen and progesterone. These two hormones work to thicken the uterus in preparation of the expected implantation of a fertilized egg. Since getting pregnant is no longer in the cards, this would seem like a sensible change in our bodies. The problem is, these hormones also help prevent osteoporosis and uterine cancer. Without them, menopause symptoms such as hot flashes can also be much more intense.
At Infinity Health & Wellness, we offer hormone replacement therapy (HRT) for women.
Would hormone replacement therapy be right for me?
Hormone replacement therapy has risks, but it is the most effective treatment for various menopausal symptoms. If these traits sound like you, HRT would be very beneficial and would likely outweigh the potential risks:
- Experience moderate to severe hot flashes or other menopausal symptoms
- Have lost bone mass and other treatments aren’t working
- Stopped having periods before the age of 40 (premature menopause) or lost normal function of your ovaries before the age of 40 (premature ovarian insufficiency)
For women who reach menopause prematurely, the protective benefits of hormone therapy usually outweigh the risks, but there are risks.
Women who had their ovaries removed, who experienced early menopause, and who didn’t take estrogen therapy until at least age 45 have higher risks of:
- Heart disease
- Earlier death
- Parkinson’s-like symptoms
- Anxiety or depression
Systemic versus low-dose vaginal HRT
There are two options for HRT, systemic or low-dose vaginal products.
- Systemic HRT— Systemic estrogen, delivered through pills, skin patches, gels, creams, or spray foam, is the most effective treatment for the relief of hot flashes, night sweats, and various vaginal symptoms of menopause.
- Low-dose vaginal products— These products can effectively treat vaginal symptoms and some urinary symptoms, while minimizing absorption into the body (as in systemic HRT). These products come in cream, tablet, or ring form.
Are you interested in hormone replacement therapy? Call us at Infinity Health & Wellness, (480) 427-4305, and set up a consultation.
Posted in: Hormone Replacement Therapy